Watch Course Director Arjan Keizer talk about the course >>
Course module details >>
People are at the heart of any organisation, so the ability to manage and develop employees, ensure their welfare and understand changing employment legislation is essential to business survival. The course aims to produce well-rounded human resources practitioners with exemplary knowledge and relevant hands-on experience.
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the course is designed to -
- Develop a critical appreciation of the theoretical foundations and empirical practice of HRM and IR
- Expose you to a wide variety of organisational practices by use of teaching materials based on high quality contemporary research conducted by lecturers and their own research for an independent individual dissertation
- Enable you to develop practical skills in the subject area to equip you for a career in or further study of the HR/IR field and gives you a grounding in research methods which you can apply appropriately either in the business world or in academic research
- Provide you with the opportunity to gain graduate membership of the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) which is extremely advantageous in securing a career in HRM.
You have the opportunity to attend skills development workshops run by expert HR practitioners to acquire practical HR skills, to attend a live employment tribunal case, and to undertake a group project in an organisation to develop teamworking and practical HR and research skills.
CIPD Course recognition
This course is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard and you can enhance your studies by taking additional CIPD components that prepare you for CIPD membership. If you decide to do so, you can attend a series of skills workshops, hear from guest speakers, and complete a range of activities enabling you to develop practical HR skills.
You will join CIPD as a student member and on passing all of the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD components, your CIPD membership will be automatically updated to Associate Member. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace, you can apply for Chartered membership.
Please note: There is a £450 administrative fee payable to Alliance Manchester Business School on arrival if you choose to register with the CIPD, plus you join the CIPD for two years - the year of your course, and the year of graduation. The current fee to join the CIPD is £178 for the 1st year and £138 for the 2nd year. Visit the CIPD website
for further information.
If you are particularly interested in international human resource management and /or comparative industrial relations you might like to consider our MSc International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations
The Business School presents three prizes associated with the CIPD programme. One is for best Portfolio, one for best Management Research Report and one for overall best student. Further details of the prizes will be available during the programme.
Course units details
The course consists of both compulsory and optional taught units. Compulsory course units include:
- Human Resource Management: Strategy and Practice
- Industrial Relations
- Multinationals and Comparative Employment Systems
- Research Methods for Organisations
- Employment Law
- Employment Policy and Practice
- Human Resource Management: Context and Organisation
Optional course units include:
- Comparative Industrial Relations
- Human Resource Management in Asia
- International Human Resource Management
- International Labour Law and Regulation
Coursework and assessment
Assessment across the course units varies, and includes a combination of examinations, essays, course work, assignment, report and group presentations. A dissertation of between 12,000 and 15,000 words is also normally undertaken.
This Masters is accredited to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership.
Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade. Further details including costs are available from the postgraduate administration team and you can visit the CIPD website
Students wishing to gain CIPD membership attend a series of skills workshops with guests invited from a wide range of companies, to enable them to develop practical HR skills.
Our next open day for postgraduate taught study will take place on Wednesday, 23 November 2016. It's a great opportunity to come and see us and experience what it is like to study at Alliance MBS.
At our event, we'll have an alumni panel who'll be describing their experiences and how their course helped them in their careers, a taster lecture and the chance to meet academic and admissions staff and current students.
Further details about registration and the schedule for the open day will be posted here soon.
Take a look at the open day programme
from the last event.
Events round the world
We take part in events both at home and around the world, and we'd be delighted to meet you in your country
. If you are visiting Manchester, you are also welcome to organise a personal visit
Practical support and advice for current students and applicants is available from the Disability Advisory and Support Service. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org