If English is not your first language, you are required to take an English language test to prove your level of proficiency.
- Strong English language communication skills are crucial to gain the full benefit of our courses
- Meeting the minimum English language test requirements does not guarantee admission
- We reserve the right to make the final decision regarding your English language ability, taking into consideration your test scores, interview assessment if required and any other relevant information from the admission process
For applicants outside the UK and EU please check the latest information on language requirements.
What are our minimum requirements?
We accept the following tests and minimum scores. We prefer candidates to take the IELTS test where possible.
Note that we do not accept English test scores that are more than two years old at the start of the course (18 September 2017).
Pre-sessional English language course requirements:
|7.0 overall with speaking and writing 6.5 and no other element below 6.0
Minimum 6.5 overall with no element below 6.0
Pre-sessional courses >>
|100 overall with a minimum score of 22 in writing and speaking, and 21 in reading and listening.
|Cambridge Proficiency Examination (CPE):
|Minimum grade C. Please note that the Cambridge First Certificate is not accepted.
|Cambridge Advanced Examination (CAE):
|Minimum grade B. Please note that the Cambridge First Certificate is not accepted.
|English for Academic Purposes (EAP):
||Minimum grade A with B in writing and speaking and C in other elements.
|Overall score of 66-73, with minimum 59-65 in writing and speaking and minimum 51-58 in reading and listening.
- If you are studying in the UK and have completed a minimum of three years within the UK at undergraduate level, you are not required to submit an English Language test except at the discretion of the Admissions Manager. If you have completed one to two years in the UK you will need to submit an English Language Test score as part of the application process.
- If you are studying or have completed a degree in an English Speaking Country, you can check if you will be required to submit an English Language Test score here: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/country/
- What if you have not yet taken or arranged your English test?
It is important that we can meet your needs on the course and ensure that you have the level of English required to benefit from the course. If you submit your application without an English language test score, we will be able to process the application, but won't be able to make an offer until we see evidence of your language ability. If you have a date set to take a test please note this on your application.
- What happens if your score is slightly below the minimum requirements?
If your English score is only slightly below the minimum requirement (for example IELTS 6.5 - with no elements below 6.0), we can still consider your application. If you have a strong application we may decide to offer you a place subject to attending an academic English course at The University of Manchester prior to the start of the course.
- How do you submit your English score?
We will accept a scanned copy of a score report for assessing your application. The score report will then be verified by the Admissions team. You should also include your scores and the date of your test on your application form.
IELTS: The official score report should be sent to us directly by the examination centre. Alternatively, provide us with your TR number and we will retrieve your result from the IELTS website.
TOEFL: The official score report should be sent to us directly by the examination centre. The University designated institution code is 0757. Alternatively provide us with your reference number and we will retrieve your result from the TOEFL website.
Pearson: Send your scores to The University of Manchester electronically by logging on to your Pearson Account..
Pre-sessional English courses
If your English language proficiency is slightly below our entry requirements, you may be eligible for a pre-sessional English language programme (you will progress to the Masters degree upon successful completion of the pre-sessional course). To be eligible for a Pre-sessional programme, you must achieve a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no element below 6.0.
If you have already met our academic requirements and English language requirements, a single visa may be issued covering both the pre-sessional course and the Master degree. If, however, you obtain a conditional offer for the Master degree and your academic results are pending you may still enrol in a pre-sessional course on a separate visa.
If a separate visa is required, only UKVI-IELTS taken at UKVI approved IELTS centres globally will be accepted for entry on to a Pre-sessional English course.
On applying for a Masters programme at Alliance MBS you therefore have the following options:
1. If you have not yet completed your current academic study and are interested in studying a Pre-sessional English programme prior to your study on a Masters programme, it is strongly recommended that you take the UKVI IELTS test to ensure you are eligible for a separate visa for the language course in case needed.
2. If you have already completed your academic study and are interested in studying a Pre-sessional English programme, either the UKVI approved IELTS test or a Standard IELTS test can be accepted as long as you achieve our minimum IELTS pre-sessional requirements.
Other qualifications equivalent to IELTS (such as TOEFL, Pearson Test of English, Cambridge English Advanced/Proficiency, and Trinity College London ISE) may also be acceptable.