Making your application
We are now welcoming applications to the Doctoral Programme for September 2016 entry. Please submit your complete application, including all supporting documents, no later than 30 June 2016. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
If you wish to be considered for funding opportunities, please submit your completed application no later than 1 February 2016. For more information, please visit the funding opportunities page.
Before starting your application, ensure you meet all the ENTRY REQUIREMENTS for academic qualifications and English language.
Your application can also be considered more quickly if you nominate a potential supervisor.
Gather your supporting documents.
The items below are essential for your application to be considered.
- Research proposal - your research proposal will be screened for originality using the Turnitin software. In preparing your proposal it is therefore very important to reference the content of your work appropriately. The University reserves the right not to consider applications in which a research proposal contains non-original (e.g. plagiarised) material.
- Degree certificates and transcripts - certificates and final grade transcripts of all previous degrees are required (translated into English). If you are currently undertaking a degree programme, an up-to-date interim transcript will be sufficient at this stage.
- English language test results - we accept IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE). Test results must be less than 2 years old and valid at the point of entry. See entry requirements for minimum scores.
- Two academic references - we would prefer these to be from tutors who have taught you on your most recent degree. The reference letters must be currently dated, provided on their institutional letterhead paper, and carrying the referee's signature. Reference letters may also be submitted direct my email.
Part-timers undertaking form (if applying for part-time study)
Complete and submit the online application for your chosen programme:
- PhD Accounting and Finance
- PhD Business and Management
- PhD Science, Technology & Innovation Policy
- MPhil Accounting and Finance
- MPhil Business and Management
- MRes Management
Please remember to upload your supporting documents to your online application. .
All international applicants are required to upload a copy of their passport with their application. Please follow the instructions on the online application form.
You will receive an email acknowledgment from the University of Manchester advising you of your ID number. Please quote this in all correspondence.
Your application will be forwarded to the Doctoral Admissions team at Alliance Manchester Business School and you will receive notification of what happens next. You will also be provided with the name of your personal contact within the team who is processing your application. You should always contact this person directly in future correspondence, remembering to quote your ID number.
From the moment we receive your complete application, we will aim to reach a decision within 4 weeks. At peak times, this timescale is likely to be exceeded but we will make every effort to keep you informed of your application's progress and reach a decision as soon as we can. You can also continue to track the progress of your application.
If you would like more information or have any questions not answered on the website, please contact us:
Doctoral Programmes Office
Alliance Manchester Business School,
Booth Street West,
Manchester M15 6PB,
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1200
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6596