Tongji-Manchester Global MBA
Launched in 2009, the Manchester-Tongji Global MBA combines world-class business education from Alliance Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester with project management expertise from Tongji University School of Economics and Management. This partnership empowers business leaders with a global perspective plus in-depth knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
months of collaborative teaching
global study locations
years of combined expertise
Taught jointly by Alliance Manchester Business School and Tongji University School of Economics and Management, the Tongji-Manchester Global MBA combines world-class business education with project management expertise.
- 2.5 years of collaborative teaching
- Dual expertise: British business and management education plus Chinese project management expertise
- International immersion: Enhance your global perspective with workshop residentials at a choice of 7 locations: Dubai, Hong Kong, Manchester, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Washington DC (select elective courses only)
- Tailor your MBA: Study electives from your areas of interest to gain career momentum or explore new fields
- Flexible learning: Advance your business and management skills while continuing to work full-time
- Learning by doing: Apply theory to real business challenges and develop practical skills that will make an immediate difference to your organisation
What will I study?
- Practical Study Skills (online)
- Managing and Leading in a Global Environment (part A)
- Managing and Leading in a Global Environment (part B)
- Strategy and Competition: The Practice of the Contemporary Firm
- Business Simulation Project
- Strategic Management of Projects
- Electives x 2
AMBS courses (delivered by Tongji SEM faculty):
- Marketing and Operations: Operationalising & Communicating Value
- Accounting and Finance: Measuring Business Value
- Commercial and Contract Management
- Strategic Management
- Project Planning and Control (Online)
- Final Project Preparation (Online)
- Live Business Project
Tongji SEM courses:
- Outward Bound
- Business English
- Leadership and The Art of Leadership
- Management Accounting
- Human Resource Management
- Data Models and Decisions
- Information Systems and Information Resources Management
- Sustainable Development and Management
- Tongji Thesis Defense
The programme is delivered through a combination of face-to-face teaching (at workshop residentials), online learning and self-study.
The workshops are a chance to step away from your day job and immerse yourself in the world of global business. You will study alongside dynamic minds from across the globe, make valuable contacts, gain fresh perspectives and explore new ways of doing business.
The majority of the workshops take place in Shanghai, a powerhouse of business and a global finance hub, so you can deepen your knowledge of Chinese business and management practices.
You will also have the option to study two AMBS electives at any of our global centres: Dubai, Hong Kong, Manchester, São Paulo, Shanghai and Singapore, plus select electives in Washington DC. Here, you’ll experience a new business culture and network with executives from our flagship Global MBA.
Typical workshop schedule
10 days at AMBS Shanghai Centre + 14 days at Tongji SEM
16 days at Tongji SEM
3 days at AMBS Shanghai Centre + 6 days at Tongji
3 days at AMBS Shanghai Centre + 6 days at any AMBS global centre
Tongi University School of Management: The expert in project management
Tongi University School of Management (SEM) is one of China’s most established management schools and is deeply rooted in the Chinese business community. Tongji SEM's strong industrial links and project management resources will provide you with a toolkit of management techniques and an in-depth understanding of how projects and organisations really function.
- 4 international accreditations: AACSB, AMBA, CAMEA and EQUIS
- One of the first Chinese universities to deliver management programmes in 1956
- Launched the first DBA programme in China
- One of the first business schools in China to obtain permission from the State Ministry of Education to teach international degree programmes
Alliance Manchester Business School: The expert in practice-based, international learning
Since we opened our doors in 1965 as one of the UK’s first business schools, we’ve set ourselves apart with The Manchester Method - our ‘learning by doing’ approach. The Manchester Method teaches MBAs to apply theory to live business challenges, think creatively and become opinion leaders.
Alliance MBS has 25 years’ experience in transnational education and our global reach now spans four continents. As a Manchester MBA, you can study electives at our centres in Dubai, Hong Kong, Manchester, São Paulo, Shanghai and Singapore, and we offer a small number of electives in Washington DC.
- 2nd in the UK for research power (REF 2014)
- Est. 1965, jointly the first business school in the UK
- 3 international accreditations: AACSB, AMBA & EQUIS
Entry requirements and how to apply
- Minimum of three years’ post-graduation work experience with strong, consistent career progression and achievement
- Good undergraduate degree or international equivalent
- Satisfactory GMAT® and GRE® or Manchester Admissions Test score
- Professional skills and competencies
- International exposure (valued)
- Entrepreneurial experience (valued)
- Strong team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Emotional intelligence and personal qualities
- Proof of English competency (assessed throughout the admissions process)
Admission route for applicants without a degree
If you do not have a degree, it may be possible to gain a place without the specified formal academic qualifications.
How to apply
Please contact us using the details on this page to register interest and discuss your suitability.