Nye Bevan Programme
Nye Bevan is an intensive programme that gives you the skills, knowledge, attitudes and belief you need to perform at Executive Team and Board level - powerfully leading transformational change at a regional, national, and organisational level.
It has been specifically designed to develop senior leaders. It’s been shown to accelerate individuals into executive roles, helping them perform better at board level, and help boards better meet operational challenges today and enable change for tomorrow. Designed with national and international experts in health and organisational performance the programme offers support and learning to build personal resilience, confidence and capabilities over 12 months.
If you’re ready for the big next step, and are looking for the kind of support and learning that will bring you this kind of confidence, you should consider applying for this programme.
The Nye Bevan programme:
- Gives you the skills, knowledge, attitudes and belief you need to perform at Executive team and Board level
- Helps you understand the NHS from a system-wide, national and global perspective
- Arms you with ideas and tools to raise the bar for patients and tackle complex real-life problems with fresh thinking
- Gives you access to global experts in healthcare and business
- Reinvigorates you with cutting edge thinking on leadership, culture and system-wide change from Alliance Manchester Business School and the University of Birmingham
- Helps you make an immediate personal and organisational impact
- Is co-created with National Voices to ensure a focus on patient feedback
- Is organised around you, using a flexible self-managed learning approach
- Helps you build a powerful support network
The Nye Bevan programme is intended for:
- Senior leaders looking to move into a board role.
- Senior leaders who are likely to be ready to apply to such a role in the next two years, or in their first two years in the role.
- Those who are able and keen to work on a demanding programme of development with peer assessment.
This is a rewarding, yet demanding, programme and will require dedicated time outside the residential activity and application of learning in the workplace. You will undertake activities involving your team, colleagues (including board-level observations), patients, service users and carers. You will also participate in a range of self-directed, experiential learning activities, which will focus on self-awareness and personal development.
The programme is based on the principles of self-managed learning. You will take responsibility and accountability for the areas you choose to focus on. You will assess and be assessed by your peers within learning sets with the full support of the set advisers.
The Nye Bevan Programme - Leading Care III is flexible by design but there will be focus on five core components to the programme:
Knowing yourself and looking after yourself and others: defining your style as a leader and performing effectively for your teams and patients e.g. Leadership styles & repertoire; effective engagement: soliciting, receiving & using feedback; creating a climate of learning & enabling people to speak out.
Leading change: creating momentum, changing behaviours and transforming culture e.g. Values & behaviour change; managing conflict; co-production.
Broadening horizons: Understanding the NHS from a future, commercial, and global perspective e.g. Horizon scanning for a better NHS in 2015, 2020, 2025; International good practice in Healthcare; Lessons from the commercial sector.
Making the case for change: Patient testimony, understanding the data and designing for change e.g. Feedback from service users; data-analysis; frameworks for effective decision making & priority setting.
Influencing upwards and outwards: Challenging authority, empowering you as a leader and creating impact through third parties; Understanding self to improve care quality and improving services e.g. Understanding sources of power and control; speaking out/challenging authority; working with national and local politics.
The programme will employ peer review and self-managed learning approaches to equip you with the precise skills and confidence you need to navigate the most demanding roles in our healthcare system. You will pass or fail based on your peers’ assessment of your work and Learning Portfolio.
547 Developing leaders on Nye Bevan programme
Awarded Gold for the EFMD Excellence in Practice