MSc International Healthcare Leadership: entry requirements
There are limited places available on this inspiring leadership programme and early application is recommended.
Who should apply?
- Experienced clinicians and managers in healthcare who need to enhance their leadership skills
- Senior healthcare managers and leaders with general management and leadership responsibilities, who need to deepen their understanding of business processes
- Experienced managers and leaders from non-healthcare sectors, who are looking to transfer skills to the healthcare sector
The majority of candidates come from healthcare backgrounds. We have welcomed candidates from across the healthcare sector, including doctors, dentists, nurses, psychologists, social workers and executives from associated industries such as pharma and biotech. We also provide opportunities to experienced managers and leaders from non-healthcare sectors, who are looking to transfer their skills to the healthcare sector.
If you have any questions about our entry requirements, please contact our friendly team:
|UK Centre (Candidates from UK, Europe, Africa & Americas)||firstname.lastname@example.org||+44 (0)161 275 7212|
|China Centre (Candidates from North, East & West China)||IHL@uom.ac.cn||+86 21 62798660|
East Asia Centre (Candidates from Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Macau, South China & Taiwan)
|email@example.com||+852 2588 5013|
|Middle East Centre (Candidates from the UAE & Gulf countries)||firstname.lastname@example.org||+971 (0)4 4468664|
|Singapore (Candidates from South East Asia & Oceania)||email@example.com|
With all our leadership programmes, we aim to provide opportunities to candidates who are able to develop their talent and potential to create real value in both business and society. We are looking for future leaders who can contribute ethically and positively to society and their communities.
We take a holistic view when evaluating applications and look for the most talented candidates with the highest potential, who can contribute to and benefit from our unique educational approach. We take all elements of your application into account, including your interview, which will be assessed against the admissions criteria below:
- A good ﬁrst degree (or professional qualiﬁcationrecognised as equivalent to a degree), plus at least two years of management experience
- If you have at least eight years of management experience and can demonstrate high levels of achievement and knowledge gained through your professional career, we can consider your application without the specified formal academic qualifications
- Strong professional skills and emotional intelligence
- Proven high level of competency in English (non-native speakers)
Academic achievements / intellectual ability
Good undergraduate (Bachelor) degree or international equivalent
- You should have a strong first degree result (UK bachelor or international equivalent as recognised by UK NARIC) from a recognised university; or professional qualiﬁcation recognised as equivalent to a degree
- Additional qualifications such as postgraduate, specialisation and professional qualifications can strengthen an application and may compensate if you have a weaker performance in your first degree
- Degree qualifications vary by country and university, however for the bachelor’s degree we normally look for the equivalent of a first class or upper second class honours result in the UK system
- We consider candidates from any subject discipline; however you should have the ability to think critically and logically and to integrate ideas
Admission route for applicants without a degree
If you do not have a degree qualification or equivalent professional qualification, it may be possible to gain a place without the specified formal academic qualifications. You will need to have at least eight years of management experience.
- Your application will be considered through the accreditation of prior learning (APL), which may be certificated or experiential. Credit is allocated for evidence of achieving appropriate and assessed learning outcomes, rather than for experience itself.
- You need to show alternative evidence of intellectual ability e.g. strong school results, professional training courses, non-degree business qualifications.
- If you would like to discuss your eligibility, please contact us before submitting your application
We normally require:
- At least two years of management experience, or
- At least eight years of management experience if you do not have a recognised degree
When assessing your suitability to benefit from the programme, we are looking for a CV/résumé showing:
- A good level of responsibility and strong achievements in your professional career to date
- Leadership/management experience, which could include some or all of the following:
- Management/leadership of teams/colleagues
- Client relationship management
- Financial/budgetary responsibility
- Project management/leadership
- Managing across different parts of an organisation
- Decision making, contribution to strategy
Professional skills / emotional intelligence
In addition to intellectual ability and professional experience, we look for candidates who have the potential to contribute to and benefit from the programme and the unique learning environment:
- Good team working skills and the ability to contribute and collaborate with other programme participants from different cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Leadership characteristics, emotional intelligence, self-awareness and self-management. We are looking for people who are open to change and personal growth and are willing to share and learn from the experience and ideas of others.
- Candidates who are mature, motivated, energetic, ambitious and enthusiastic, with strong personal values, social awareness, sense of community and integrity.
- Work-related skills and competencies e.g. IT skills, analytical skills, presentation, problem-solving, reasoning, creativity, ability to generate ideas.
English language competence
All our degree programmes, require a high level of competency in English and you will need to provide evidence that your English ability is sufficient to enable you to participate fully and to be successful in the programme.
Are you a national of a majority English speaking country?
The following countries are classified by the UK government as majority English speaking: Antigua & Barbuda; Australia; Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United Kingdom and United States of America.
If yes, please submit with your application a scanned copy of the name page from your passport confirming you are a national of one of the countries listed above.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, we use the following indicators to assess your competency in English:
- Your whole application (application form, essay etc)
- An official standard English language test (see minimum English language test requirement below), or alternative proof of competency (see English test exemptions)
Minimum English language test requirements
- IELTS: 7.0 overall - with speaking and writing 6.5 and no element below 6.0. Test date must be no more than 2 years prior to the start of the programme.
- TOEFL (iBT): 100 overall - with a minimum score of 22 in writing and speaking and 21 in reading and listening. Test date must be no more than 2 years prior to the start of the programme.
- PTE Academic: 66-73 overall - with minimum 59-65 in writing and speaking and minimum 51-58 in reading and listening. Test date must be no more than 2 years prior to the start of the programme.
- CPE or CAE (Cambridge): Minimum grade C. Valid for life. Note that the Cambridge First Certificate is not accepted.
English test exemptions
As an alternative to taking a Standard English Language Test, we can consider one or a combination of the following:
Have you successfully completed a degree level qualification (recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a UK bachelor degree or higher) which was fully taught in English?
If yes, you are exempt from taking an official English test. Please submit copies of your degree documents with your application, which officially state that your degree was fully taught in English.
Do you have a qualification that may be recognised as at least level B2 as measured by the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)?
The CEFR is an international standard for describing language ability. This would be the equivalent of the UK GCSE English Language (minimum grade C). Examples:
- India Standard X11 Examination: 65% in English.
- IGCSE English Language grade C
- International Baccalaureate English (Higher or Standard Level)
If you would like us to consider your qualification please submit with your application official evidence of your qualification, which specifically shows the English element and the grade achieved. We will then consider whether an exemption can be made.
Is English the main business language in your place of work?
Many of our candidates are executives working in international companies and organisations. If English is the main business language of the company/organisation where you are currently working and you predominately use English in your role, we can take this into consideration when assessing your English competency.
Please submit official evidence from your company/organisation with your application, which states the percentage of your work communication that is in English and an indication of your level of competency. We can then consider whether an exemption from taking an official English test can be made.