MSc Financial Management
Are you looking to enhance your skills in financial management or make a career change into this field? Our distance learning MSc in Financial Management is the starting point for a successful career in finance. We'll equip you with the skills, techniques and knowledge you need to make your mark in this competitive sector.
Conversion course that does not require finance experience
Meet and network with peers at industry residentials twice a year in Manchester
Taught by one of the world's most experienced accounting and finance teams
Whether you've got previous experience in finance or are a complete beginner, this part-time Master's degree will introduce you to the main tasks and objectives that a finance practitioner undertakes. The MSc in Financial Management is taught through online learning with four workshop residentials in Manchester. It will equip you with the flexible, relevant and transferable skills you need to change career or take on a management position. You will learn how to:
- Understand the interplay between well-functioning financial markets and successful companies
- Apply a full range of financial techniques to real-life business situations
- Describe, analyse and interpret financial data from markets and companies
- Search and gather relevant financial information from multiple sources, including companies' annual reports and financial databases
- Offer data-based solutions to complex and relevant business challenges, for example:
- Evaluating the performance and riskiness of a company or an asset
- Selecting valuable investment projects
- Determining the type of capital a company should raise to fund investment
- Analysing a company's financial strategy
Successful finance practitioners require a wide range of transferable skills and specific knowledge in areas such as corporate finance, financial markets and financial accounting. Our Financial Management Masters's course will help you develop these through a balance between theory and practical experience. You will study:
- Foundation units in finance and accounting
- Units in more advanced areas of finance
- A final supervised project where you will analyse and exploit real-world financial information to address a complex business challenge. This is an opportunity to deepen your finance knowledge and apply the skills and techniques you have learned.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
Foundations of Accounting
Foundations of Finance
Global Financial Markets
Data Analysis & Statistical Techniques
Financial Statement Analysis
International Financial Management
Quantitative Methods for Financial Management
Venture Capital and Private Equity
Business Models and Financial Strategy
How will I learn?
This Master's degree in Financial Management is delivered through a part-time blended learning format. The majority of the teaching is online, so you can study flexibly at a pace that suits your own requirements and lifestyle. You will also get the opportunity to learn and share experiences with classmates from across the globe at face-to-face workshops in Manchester.
What does a typical course unit look like?
- Delivered online + three-day face-to-face workshop (either at the start or around the middle of the teaching period)
- Studied over a five-month period (total of 150 hours of study per unit)
- Taught from an applied perspective using practical elements, such as problem-solving, case studies, interactive activities and online quizzes, so you can apply your learnings immediately
- Assessed by ongoing coursework with no exams (you will typically complete two individual/group assessments per unit)
- Informed by the latest cutting-edge research in finance
- Taught by academics with extensive financial expertise and significant finance teaching experience
When will I attend workshops?
You will attend one three-day workshop per semester (four in total) at Alliance Manchester Business School's brand new campus in Manchester. Please contact us for further information on workshop dates.
A Manchester experience, online
Every aspect of our MSc in Financial Management is developed and delivered by Alliance Manchester Business School. This ensures you get the best quality learning experience, wherever in the world you are based. Throughout your studies, you will have access to a dedicated study advisor and digital services to support your learning, including libraries and financial databases (see below).
The Finance Zone
From the moment you start the course, you will have access to Alliance Manchester Business School's Finance Zone, one of the UK’s most comprehensive collections of specialist financial and business databases. These resources are used by top researchers around the world and include Bloomberg, Datastream, Thomson ONE, Compustat, WRDS, Capital IQ plus many more.
How to apply
Who should apply?
The MSc in Financial Management is ideal for professionals based anywhere in the world who:
- Have some finance experience and are looking to step into a management role
- Have no finance experience and are seeking a career change into the financial services sector
This course is a conversion degree suitable for students without a significant academic background in the field of finance. We expect applicants to possess:
- A UK Bachelor's degree (or overseas equivalent) with first or upper second class honours
- Good levels of numeracy and financial literacy are essential (these will be evaluated as part of the application process)
- High level of competency in English (non-native speakers). Please note that some English Language test results are only valid for two years and your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course:
- IELTS: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in listening, writing, reading and speaking
- TOEFL (iBT): 90 overall with 20 in listening, writing, reading and speaking
- PTE Academic: 59-65 overall with 59 in listening, writing, reading and speaking
- CPE or CAE (Cambridge): Minimum grade 176-184
"The MSc in Financial Management provides the tools and skills that today’s managers require and is the ideal starting point for a successful career in finance."