Full-time MBA application process
If you think you’ve got what it takes to join our next cohort of MBAs, complete our simple online application form.
The application process is competitive and places are limited, so apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment. If your initial application is successful we will contact you to arrange an interview.
Programme start date: 28 August 2018
Please read the instructions on this page carefully before you apply. Our friendly admissions team can advise you through every stage of the process and provide support to help you settle in the vibrant city of Manchester. We can also put you in contact with current MBA students and alumni ambassadors. If you have any questions during the application process, please don't hesitate to contact us:
Full-timeMBA.Admissions@manchester.ac.uk l +44 (0)161 275 6365
Full-time MBA application process
Step 1: Review entry requirements
Step 2: Review deadlines
Please note the application deadline before you apply. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to an interview.
Programme start date: 28 August 2017
Non-EU final application deadline: 4 June 2018
EU/EEA final application deadline: 2 July 2018
Step 3: Complete application
Complete the application form on the MBA Apply Portal and then submit all the elements from the checklist below.
Full-time MBA application checklist
- Application form
- Admission essays and presentation
- CV / resumé
- Two professional references
- GMAT/GRE score report
- English Language score report (if applicable)
- Degree transcript and certificate
- Photo / name page from your passport
- Passport sized head and shoulders photo
Before you apply, please read the following application guidelines below >> NEED TO ADD ANCHOR
Step 4: Interview
If your initial application is successful, the MBA Admissions Team will contact you to arrange an interview/assessment. The interview is a key part of our assessment and we will explore the following areas in more depth:
- Career success to date
- Personal and professional achievements
- Leadership and management potential
- Competencies, communication skills, soft skills, personal qualities and motivation
- How you will contribute to the powerful shared learning experience of an influential group of peers
During the interview process, you will also have the opportunity to discuss the Full-time MBA programme, your aspirations and your expectations in more detail with our team.
Where will the Full-time MBA interview take place?
To provide flexibility, we offer several options:
- Pre-scheduled assessment event in Manchester
- Personal appointment in Manchester on a date that is convenient for you
- Virtual interview/presentation using Skype or other appropriate technology
- Our MBA team also travel regularly to recruitment events around the world. Please see our events schedule to see if we will be in your country >> [link last sentence to MBA events calendar in new tab]
Step 5: Final decision
After the interview, the admissions committee will make a final decision (usually within 14 working days). Where possible, scholarship decisions will be made at the same time as making an offer, however for candidates applying in the first two application deadlines, scholarship decisions will be made in December.
Step 6: Accepting your place
Accepting your place
When you accept your place on the MBA, we require the following reservation fees:
Initial reservation fee
Due immediately to reserve your place
Second reservation fee
Due by 1st May 2017 to confirm your place (or can be paid before this date)
If you accept your place after 1st May 2017, you will be required to pay both reservation fees at the time of acceptance, i.e. £5,000.
Before starting your application please review the Full-time MBA entry requirements >>
Submitting the application form is the first step in the application process. To complete your application you are required to submit all the other elements in the checklist below. You should upload your two essays, presentation, GMAT or GRE score, English score (if applicable), degree transcripts and other supporting documents online through the MBA Apply Portal after submitting the application form.
The application form is submitted online through our MBA Apply Portal. You can save and come back to the form if you are not able to complete it in one session. To ensure you receive the application receipt, add email@example.com to your safe list. The online application form is only the first step in the application process. As soon as you have submitted the form, please upload the other elements to complete your application.
Admissions essays and presentation
We require two admission essays and a presentation. After submitting the application form, please log back into the MBA Apply Portal to upload these documents.
Essay 1: Your Professional Experience and Achievements (minimum 500 words)
Please describe your professional experience and career progression to date including the dates of any promotions and salary increases.
We would like to learn about the companies you have worked for, the breadth and depth of the knowledge you have acquired in the workplace, your key achievements, your management and international business experiences and the impact you have made in your different roles.
Particularly highlight the parts of your career that demonstrate any of the following:
- Managing people (team, business area, department, company)
- Managing client relationships
- Leading significant projects
- Managing budgets, resources or processes
- Defining/influencing strategy
- International exposure
- Entrepreneurial experience
Essay 2: Your aspirations (minimum 300 words)
To address the following questions:
- What are your professional and personal aspirations and why is an MBA important in your plans?
- What type of industry sector(s), organisation(s) and location(s) would you ideally like to work in?
- How do you think your current experience combined with the Alliance Manchester Business School MBA will help you to achieve your aspirations?
- If you aren’t able to reach your primary goal immediately do you have a plan B?
PowerPoint Presentation: Tell us about you?
Taking into account what we currently know about you from your CV and application, we would like you to send us a presentation to share with us anything else that you would like us to know. Your presentation will be printed and reviewed by the MBA Admissions Committee.
There is no right answer to this question. The presentation is a blank canvas to paint a picture that will help us to know you better. We hope to learn about your personality, what makes you stand out, what motivates and interests you and why you are the ‘right fit’ for our transformational MBA. Your presentation will be evaluated not on technical expertise but on the content, creativity and your ability to express your ideas.
- You can choose the software that works best for your creativity - PowerPoint, PDF, Word, Prezi etc.
- Maximum 4 pages/slides
- Check that your presentation is effective and the formatting preserved when printed. Please do not include motion images, videos, music or hyperlinks etc.
Your CV/résumé is an important part of our assessment. After submitting the application form, please log back into the MBA Apply Portal to upload this document.
- Each job you have taken since graduating from your undergraduate degree (if you have one) in reverse chronological order, starting with your current position.
- Include the month/year start and end date, job title, company name and salary for each position undertaken.
- If you have worked in more than one position for the same company please show each position separately to highlight your career progression.
- For each position, include bullet points of your key responsibilities and achievements.
- Details of all your qualifications; including your Bachelor’s degree, any Master's degree, postgraduate diplomas/specialisations and professional qualifications.
- Any academic distinctions, honours or awards.
Your CV/résumé should ideally be no more than two pages in length.
Two professional references
You are required to submit two professional references and your application is not complete until they are received. You will be asked to include the contact details for your referees in the MBA application form. When your application has been submitted we will email your referees to request them to complete our official MBA reference. We prefer one of your referees to be the person you report to in your current company. If you do not wish to inform your current employer that you are applying for the MBA you can use a referee from your previous company. We do not require academic references.
GMAT/GRE score report
It is a mandatory requirement to take the GMAT or GRE. Please review the Full-time MBA entry requirements for details.
You will be asked for the details of your score in the application form. If you have not yet taken the GMAT or GRE, please register and include your test date in the application form. If you do not include your test date you will not be able to submit the application form. Do not choose Request MAT unless you have received a formal invitation or your application may be unsuccessful. We may decide not to make a decision about the interview stage until we know your admissions test score.
Please upload your score report into the MBA Apply Portal after submitting the application form. We also need to verify your result, therefore if you have not already made your official test score report available to us, please arrange to do so.
How to report your official GMAT score
- Sending your official GMAT score >>
- GMAT: Our institution code is N1C-XL-39
- We are listed as University of Manchester - Alliance Manchester Business School - MBA, Full Time - Manchester
How to report your official GRE score
- Sending your official GRE score >>
- GRE: Our GRE Designated Institution (DI) Code is 1433
- We are listed as University of Manchester - Alliance Manchester Business School MBA
English language score report (if applicable)
Please check carefully if you are required to take an official English language test. The only exceptions are candidates who fit the categories outlined in detail in the Full-time MBA entry requirements. Please check carefully as no other exemptions will be permitted due to the UK immigration regulations.
You should include the details of your score in the application form. If you have not yet taken your English test, please register and include the date you intend to take the test in the application form. If you are required to take an English test, we may decide not to make a decision about the interview stage until we know your English score.
Please upload your score report into the MBA Apply Portal after submitting the application form. We also need to be able to verify your score, therefore if you have not already made your official test score report available to us, please arrange to do so.
How to report your official English score:
Please arrange to have your score report sent to The University of Manchester so we can validate your score online. Our institution code is 0757.
Sending your official TOEFL score >>
Please arrange to have your test report form sent to The University of Manchester so we can validate your score online.
Please arrange to have your score report sent to The University of Manchester so we can validate your score online.
Sending your official PTE score >>
Email us your Candidate ID and Candidate Secret Number (printed on your Confirmation of Entry) and then we can verify your result online.
India Standard X11 Examination
After submitting the application form upload a copy of your official India Standard X11 examination certificate directly through the MBA Apply Portal.
“The admissions team is very friendly with professionals who exhibit care and warmth. Throughout the process, they gave me personalised advice and promptly responded to my queries. It made a big difference in convincing me that I was coming to a business school that truly cares.”